DAY 4: MINICOY ISLAND
DAY 2: OF LAKSHADWEEP CRUISE – MINICOY ISLAND
Minicoy is said to the most beautiful of all the Lakshadweep Islands. Due to its geographical closeness to Maldives, Minicoy gives you the feel of being in Maldives. If you look at Lakshadweep in the map, you will notice that Minicoy is a single dot quite far from the cluster of Lakshadweep Islands. People in Minicoy speak the same language as Maldives whereas rest of the islands of Lakshadweep speaks a mixture of Malayalam, Tamil & Urdu.
|Welcome to Minicoy Island !!!|
|Men at work|
I got up when the announcement speaker was shouting that the canteen will be closed soon for breakfast and the disembarkement will start shortly. After a quick shower and a quick breakfast, we were ready for our first disembarkment and excited to visit Minicoy Islands.
The ship had anchored in the open sea around 5 kms from the main island because it could not go near the island as the island was surrounded by shallow lagoons. Small boats from the island came to the ship to pick us up in small batches. It was compulsory for us to wear the yellow colour “Huchilco” life jackets made in New Zealand. SPORTS staff was very warm and guided us in disembarkement.
Soon we boarded a medium sized boat and were off to Minicoy Island. As we moved closer to the shore the sea water became more and more emerald green and finally became transparent.
|Disembarkement from M.V. Kavaretti|
Finally we reached the island and we were immediately taken to the light house in cars & pick-ups. It had started drizzling but it had stopped by the time we reached the lighthouse. Minicoy had narrow but well maintained cement roads, street lights and absolutely no litter.
|Our Welcome Drink|
Our welcome drink was coconut water and we were then advised to see the light house.
is no ticket required for the light house but you need to pay Rs. 20 if you
want to take the camera. The lighthouse offers some breathtaking views of the
island from the top. Every inch of the island is covered with coconut grooves
and you can see the blue sea along with the vast horizon.
enjoying ourselves atop the light house we were taken to a resort. The beach
was deserted with pristine clear water. White sand, clear water, untouched
beauty.. it was breath taking. Also, since it was a lagoon and isolated from
the main ocean the water was calm and the waves were not hitting the beach.
|View from the top of the Lighthouse|
|In the middle of no where|
By then it was lunch time. We all changed into fresh clothes and had lunch. After lunch we were given some time to relax on the beach and were then taken for sight seeing.
After the evening tea and snacks it was time to leave Minicoy Island and head to our home on the sea. We got on the small boats and headed back to our ship.
|Back to M.V. Kavaretti|
|Taashi - Kaku Moment|
|Shades of Sky|
Post our dinner at 8:00 pm we all enjoyed a movie of Charlie Chaplin on our laptop and went off to sleep. Tomorrow we would visit another island – Kalpeni Island.
Points to remember:
- We went to Lakshadweep Island through Lakshadweep Samundram Package which is a five day cruise to visit the islands of Minicoy, Kalpeni and Kavaretti by ship M.V. Kavaretti. The package is arranged by The Society for Promotion of Nature Tourism and Sports (SPORTS), a Government undertaking. The island tour is organized during the day with lunch and refreshments ashore. Nights are spent on board the ship. M.V Kavaratti has 150 Diamond class accommodations. Swimming, snorkeling and other water sports are arranged during the day tour. Children from 1 year and above up to 10 years will be treated as child.
- First class cabin accommodation
- All 3 time meals [breakfast Lunch and Dinner] morning and evening tea or coffee
- Welcome drink at the island.
- All 3 island sightseeing.
- Water sports Kayaking Snorkeling and glass boat 1 time
- Entry permit and Entry Ticket
- Compliment T Shirts and Caps
- All the Government taxes.
- Our personal assistance on the ship and Island
- There is no mobile network on the ship and on the islands except of BSNL. So, say goodbye to facebook, watsapp, twitter or whatever else that you are hooked to. You might find network on Kavaretti Island.
- If you get sea sick, kindly take your medication along.
- Foreigners are not allowed in Lakshadweep, except on Bangaram Island.
- Lakshadweep is a no plastic zone. Please don’t litter.
- You are not allowed to carry corrals. It’s a punishable act.
- Expense Details of the day:
Amount for 4 people
Amount per head